Friday 30 September 2016

23/09/16 - Dance


In this lesson we were focusing on creating material based on a piece of text in which we had chosen based on any aspect within the Media. We also carried on with material we had previously learnt and developed it.

We started doing a a contemporary warm up, I think that it was effective us doing this as it will help all us with both units we are focusing on within dance this year. To add to this warm up is an essential with dance otherwise can lead to injury if not warmed up properly. I enjoyed doing the warm up as I really like doing contemporary, whenever assessed i was told that my travelling was good which i was happy with as for a person with small legs i have been working on that a lot, I also got told mt timing was good and that I just need to work on my height when jumping and not to overside in my roll which I will work on in coming lessons.

After this we started to work on creating material using a stimulus of our choice as long as t was a piece of text based on the media. I chose an article called Gendered Media: The influence of Media on Views of Gender by Julia T. Wood. I read the whole article and then chose a section to really focus on by still using themes within the article the section i focused on was:



I used this to create a piece about the contrast of the two stereotypes of women but to then show that women can be both gentle and strong and not have to worry about how they are visualised as within the media. I chose to do movements for each category so for the "angels" side i did smooth and fluid movements using a lot of control such as still positions like deep plies in second just moving my arms  and contractions; for the more strong side I used more rough and tenacious moves like jumps, kicks and drops. Using a range of dynamics within these moves to really highlight the disparity between both sides.

When thinking about music I practised it to Really Low Motion - Mercury Rises on youtube as it has really diverse music sections with dynamics, tempo and volume. I decided as it has three sections the slow lighter one at the beginning, then the bold centre piece of music for the strong and then it combines both to create a strong emotional climax at the end so i felt i should combine both sections to show that women can be who they want and be be both whether it may be strong or gentle, they shouldn't feel like they have to be categorised to only one.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment